Emmerdale

Emmerdale writer behind Tom and Belle abuse storyline tried to ‘suffocate’ real-life girlfriend

Martin Fustes no longer writes for Emmerdale

Emmerdale bosses have said they are “shocked and appalled” after a former writer on the show appeared in court, having admitted assaulting his partner.

Martin Fustes pleaded guilty to the assault of his girlfriend, causing actual bodily harm, and an offence of intentional suffocation, which took place at the family home on January 27.

Emmerdale sign
Fustes has written for Emmerdale since 2006 (Credit: ITV/Shutterstock)

Emmerdale writer prosecuted

Samantha Laws, prosecuting, told Hull Crown Court that the couple had been together for about 13 years at the time and were living with their children near Hull.

She said a row broke out between them when the couple were getting ready for bed. Fustes became verbally abusive and poked and prodded his girlfriend in the face and upper body with his fingers, keys and a vape. He also spat in her face.

Miss Laws added that Fustes stopped his girlfriend from leaving the bedroom and put both hands around her neck two or three times. Fustes also wrapped the woman’s dressing gown hood around her neck and dragged her back to the bed.

“He was repeatedly shoving and pushing her back to the bed,” Miss Laws told the court. “She attempted to escape. He placed his hands over her mouth and nose and stopped her ability to breathe. She could see stars.”

Miss Laws continued that the woman was able to escape through the front door of the house. “She began to run to the local police station but he quickly caught up with her and pleaded with her to return.” The woman did go home where there was more arguing and abuse.

The woman claimed in court that this assault was the culmination of more than 10 years of abuse. She said: “I thought I was going to d.i.e. I had no other option but to escape and run down the street.”

Emmerdale's Belle is serious in a promo photo
Belle Dingle was at the heart of a domestic abuse storyline (Credit: ITV)

“A serious incident”

In mitigation, Connor Stuart, said it was “a serious but isolated incident”. He said Fustes had no previous convictions and he had shown some degree of insight. “He has shown genuine remorse,” said Mr Stuart. “This is the last time that he will trouble these courts.”

According to IMDB, Fustes has written for Emmerdale since 2006. This also means he’s been involved in the recent storyline surrounding Belle Dingle‘s torment at the hands of her abusive husband, Tom King.

Fustes no longer writes for Emmerdale

“We were shocked and appalled to learn about the recent court case involving Emmerdale writer, Martin Fustes,” a spokesperson for Emmerdale/ITV said.

“Mr Fustes is a freelance writer. He has been informed that he will no longer be writing for Emmerdale. Everyone at ITV and Emmerdale abhors domestic abuse, which is why we have been highlighting the issue in a major storyline over the last 12 months.

“The Emmerdale production team were not aware of these charges against Mr Fustes until we were alerted over the weekend.”

Fustes was given a two-year suspended prison sentence. He also has to do 150 hours’ unpaid work, 15 days’ rehabilitation and a 26-session probation service domestic abuse programme. He was ordered to pay £2,000 compensation and £150 costs and he was given a ten-year restraining order.

Emmerdale usually airs weeknights on ITV at 7.30pm, with an early release on ITVX at 7am.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
error: Content is protected !!